Monday, January 9, 2012

It's officially taper week...

Well, I have been off of school for almost 3 weeks... the holidays are officially over... and the Trials taper is HERE.  A great majority of the information I shared with you last week, about the tapering process and the emotional/mental feelings that come along with it, have started to set in. Unfortunately, the one who has to witness my rollercoaster of emotions this week, is my Fiance. Bless him.

I think of myself as the "Type A" personality, constantly working on or fixing something, over analyzing, trying to perfect the mis-perfections, and keeping each area of my life organized and planned. It's just what I do. I just hope Justin can live with it! Taper time does not compliment this lifestyle or personality, but wedding planning does :)  I have managed to keep myself "busy" each day, so much in fact, that I have not even started packing for Houston or the 8 weeks I will spend in Cedar Falls- beginning the day after I race. Way off my norm, but hey it's probably good for me to have some wiggle room in my life. If you watch Modern Family, I would fit in scary close with Claire and her meticulous ways... luckily, I found my "Phil" in life...


I finished last week with the following workouts and training:

Wednesday
12 miles, with the first 6 miles at an easy pace and the second 6 miles at 6:30-6:50 minutes per mile. My body seemed to thank me for the extra sleep I have been gladly giving it, and the lack of any alarm clocks in the dark of the mornings! I completed this run solo, on the paved bike trails of West Des Moines. I still can't believe it is January and we have these running "heaven" conditions!

Thursday
To think that Wednesday was a beautiful run...Thursday somehow topped it. I joined my training partner, Colleen, for a noon run IN SHORTS! As I drove to meet her near her work and run our 8 miles at an easy pace, I realized the level of my excitement for this mid-day sunshine run caused me to forget my GPS watch and sunglasses. Oh well, "talk test" is the perfect indicator for your "easy" running pace.

Friday
The long lost alarm clock rose from the dead. I met Colleen at Grays Lake for one of our last "tune up" workouts of the training plan, at 5am. As you near the end of your training bout for any big race, the last difficult workouts are key for building confidence and a positive vibe toward your fitness. The workout called for 2 miles of warm up, 2 x 4 miles at the goal marathon pace (6:10-6:12 minutes/mile) and 2 miles of cool down.  Although my legs seemed to scream- why are we not still resting in bed? - my mind was into it and I was ready to rock one of my last pace workouts. The point of this workout is to place yourself in the middle of the marathon-mindset and to remind your body of the pace that is to be held for the full 26.2 millas. I was pleased to see 6:11 for my average on the first rep of 4 miles. A quick 5 minute jog and we started the second rep. Especially in the early morning of the day, your mind can wonder, but just like in the race- keeping focused and in-tune with your mechanics and what the bod is saying- is the key to staying on pace. Second, 4 mile split average- 6:07. Knowing that it was not easy but it definately was not hard, confirmed a confident pace workout.  I headed home for a little breakfast, joe, and Today show, before getting a 30 minute swim in at the Y. I continue to sit in the moist sauna to stretch, visual, and relax the mind for 10 minutes... worth it.

Saturday
14 miles easy with my favorite group of weekend training pals. TACO, definition: We meet at an old "Taco Bell" (it is now a beauty salon) building every Saturday at 6am and run the same 3 loop course, for anyone and everyone to join. It is the fastest hours of running I have experienced, as you have so many feet to pick-n-choose to run and chat with. Full of wide age ranges, men and women. They don't descriminate.  The rest of my Saturday was spend with my mom, as we hit jackpot on a "mother-of-the-bride shopping day". Foxy finds: dress, shoes, matching clutch... all reasonably priced. Can't wait to see her show it all off on the big day!

Sunday
6 miles easy was in the company of Justin's youth triathlon team (Z3) and a few other training friends. We enjoyed the miles with the younger kids at 7am, taking a hillier gravel route on the West side of West Des Moines. We finished as the sun was rising for another crazy-warm-"winter" day. Justin and I enjoyed the remainder of our Sunday attending church and hitting up our favorite coffee spot, where he happily graded English papers and I attempted to plan our wedding day.

Monday
8 miles easy, at 5:30am, with some fun, short-but-sweet hill sprints. I met up with my Trials training partner, Ashley, and our good friends Jenny and Mark as we ran near the Drake and Des Moines University neighborhoods. As much as I dislike my alarm sounding in my ear, having your workout complete, enjoying a cup of joe in my Grandma's old recliner, along with Matt and Ann (Today Show) as the sun starts to come up, hits the spot.  I met up with Grandma Kelly for her weekly physical therapy appointment and shared lunch together. My 85 year old Gma could easily fool you for 65, with the activities she gets herself into. I hesitate to challenge that women to HORSE, ping-pong, pool, AND bridge (if I even knew how to play!)... just to name a few. What a gal.

Well, more to come as I near my departure for the big dance. Have a wonderful evening and enjoy the beautiful weather in the Midwest!
DK

No comments:

Post a Comment