Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Sub-marathon-pace funday

The taper allows for rest and decreased mileage but the legs do require some "wake up" early in the week, before race day. Today's wake-up-workout was 2 mile warm up, 4 x 2 kilometer (~1.25 mile) reps between 6:10-5:55 minute/mile pace, with a 2 mile cool down. The 6:10 is my goal marathon pace, and the wokout called for a pace between marathon pace and 15 seconds under MP.

I headed to Gray's Lake just about the time the temperature broke into the 60's. In my half tights and long sleeve, I never thought I was going to be able to "heat train" outside, in Iowa, for Houston!? It was smokin'! And the Des Moines-ians knew it too... as the loop aruond the lake was bumpin with everyone from Mom's pushing strollers, to 80 year old+ mall walkers- turned lake loopers. The best part, are the smiles that consistently flash as I ran by each individual. The warm days of winter in Des Moines, remind me of the sunny days of Seattle... everyone suddenly perks up, has more energy, and just cannot get enough time outdoors.

The conditions were ideal, with just a tish of wind blowing the warm temps from the South, but the legs felt slightly fatigued. I busted out the first 2k too fast, at 5:47 minute/mile pace. Whoops! Rep #2 took the hit from the (too fast) Rep #1, as I averaged 6:01 minute/mile pace. I was dead on, with #3 and #4, as I hit 5:55 for both bouts.  I enjoyed the 2 mile cooldown in the sun and pondered whether or not the sun gave the skin a little tan for the Houston prep :)

I headed to the Y for a recovery swim of 20 minutes easy, before getting some stretching and relaxing in the moist sauna.  Compression sleeves are on the calves and I am set for a quick nap, before cheering on the boys Boone Toreador basketball team!

The little (but BIG) bro, Chris, has been lighting the net on fire this season and he is so fun to watch. I cannot wait to see where his academics and athletic talent takes him in 2 years, as he (already?!?) nears the college level. Recently, Chris was nominated for the 'Fareway Athlete of the Week' award and needs YOUR HELP to win! Simply text the letter "A" to  91217 , TEN TIMES (per phone) and help him win! The FOX news at 9pm (CST) in the Des Moines viewing area, will announce the winner on Friday (1/13) night. Who could beat this stud?...

Gooooo Toreadors!
Have a great night,
DK

No comments:

Post a Comment