Sunday, December 18, 2011

Olympic Marathon Trials and Training in the Dirty T

The Olympic Trials. The thought that I will toe the line in Houston, TX on January 14, with the best marathon runners in the country has (still) not set in. An experience that I never even considered, until just over one year ago. Now, running the 26.2 mile race will happen in just less than 28 days.

Qualifying for such an elite event turned up the motivation dial and intensity for my 18 weeks of training. In order to prepare as well as I can, I knew I would need to somehow get around the typical Iowa weather in the month of December. I am very blessed to have friendships with my training partner, Ashley, and her husband (professional triathlete) who own a home in Tucson, AZ, for use of adequate training environment and conditions.  I am also very fortunate to have a supportive family and parents, who agreed to my proposed training week in the south and said 'Merry Christmas' as they assisted in my travels to AZ.

Currently, in Tucson, Arizona, I am training in ~60 degree, sunny, clear weather for one week along with Ashley. I am pumped for these next days of training and could not be more thankful for the hospitality of Ashley and her husband. Stay tuned for daily workout updates and maybe a little recipe/dinner action to wet the palate.

Until then, off to bed in order to complete my longest training run- 24 miler tomorrow a.m.
Giddy-up!

No comments:

Post a Comment