Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Run, Swim...Thai!

Run:Middle-of-the-week Wednesdays are middle-long distance, recovery runs. My 20 week marathon training program consistently builds up on the mileage and with only 3.5 weeks left until the trials, the mileage is often double digits each day. 14 miles at "talkable" pace was in the company of TJ and Ashley today, as we ran the 2.5 miles to the Santa Cruz River (again, not a "river" by any means) trail, 4.5 miles north toward Mt. Lemmon, and turned around to run the same route back to the house. It continues to amaze me how much running with others seems to make the miles go by crazy fast. Conversation or not, hearing other footsteps and having the company makes a huge difference. We returned to the house and completed the post run regimen of stretching, core, and sitting in the Normatec boots.

To give you some quick education- The Normatec boots I keep referring to are compression boots that pulsate by inflating/deflating air (from a powered source) that causes pressure on the legs. The compression goal is to reduce swelling by encouraging blood flow back up the legs, decrease muscle fatigue, and decrease stiffness following intense activity/workouts. Here is a fine looking model, to give you an idea (taken May 2010)...

Swim:
After enjoying some breakfast/lunch and a cup of joe in the Normatec boots, I headed to the U of A rec center for a 40 minute swim. I am telling you, once you get in this pool, you don't want to get out! I am not sure if it is the sunshine on your back, the clear blue water, or the fact that you feel like you've got the joint to yourself... but this pool may be the hardest thing to leave after tomorrow!
Just a peak of the agua...


Last, but by far- not the least of my day: Thai...
SO, following my swim I headed to downtown Tucson where I had an appointment at "Treehouse Thai Massage". Sounds a little crazy huh? Well, IT IS! Actually, it is the best stretching I have put my bod through since dancing ballet... but we'll see what these legs say tomorrow, after a longer tempo workout. A Thai Massage is a combination of stretching the limbs (with the focus on legs, for me) with tissue pressure and massage. Ashley and TJ started seeing (Jason) regularly and recommended I try it out. I feel like Gumby. I may just have to try the "pretzel" I feel so limber. HEYO!

Well, that was my wonderful Wednesday. Sad to leave the training land of Tucson-tomorrow night and the daily sunshine of AZ, but I would take my fiance and the sites and smells of a true midwestern Christmas with our families, anyday. Who am I kidding, here's the true sunshine of my life! ...

DK

1 comment:

  1. Danna! :) Love your blog posts! I am super jealous of your massage! And that little dog was adorable! Can't wait to see you on the 26th! <3 Molly

    ReplyDelete